This is a classic Austrian recipe for knoedel – small sweet dumplings, filled with apricot jam or Mirabelle plums.
The dumplings are first boiled in salted water, then covered in crispy fried breadcrumbs and sugar-coated.
- 1200 g Potatoes
- 180 g Flour
- 75 g Semolina
- 160 g Butter
- 2 Egg
- 12 pcs Mirabelle plum
- Boil the potatoes with the skins for about 20-30 minutes, until done, but don't get them too soft, then mash and press them through a sieve.
- Mix the mashed potatoes, semolina, flour, egg and melted butter into dough, then let it rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a long stick shape, about 2cm thick in diameter, which then cut into pieces, each about 3cm long. Flatten each piece with your hand, then wrap a Mirabelle plum into a small ball in it.
- Bring lightly salted water to boiling point and cook the ball for about 15 minutes, until they start to swim on top of the water.
- Serve with granulated sugar and toasted bread crumbs on top.